Saturday 30 November 2013

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Wow. I really like this book. It is a very refreshing read.

Meet Moist von Lipwig (pronounced Lipvig, thank you) a.k.a. Albert Spangler, incorrigible con man with a face so unforgettable that his mother once brought home a wrong kid from school. And he would hang tomorrow... But an angel came, an angel who would come only once for every man.
Thus, Mr. Spangler was hanged. He was dead. But immediately he got a new life as Moist von Lipwig and even got a job as a Postmaster. A unenviable job, because four Postmasters before him had been dead in unexplained circumstances... And not only that. By accepting that job, he found himself became a rival of clacks company, Grand Trunk, which was headed by a dangerous man.

This book is fast-paced. I find Moist to be a charming character. He thinks fast, and talks even faster. His falling in love with Adora Belle Dearheart, a girl who could see who he was through-and-through is funny and sweet. Ms. Dearheart's name is bound to give a wrong impression - bear in mind that she was nicknamed 'Killer' and 'Spike'. Affectionately, of course.
The concept of clacks is interesting. Clacks is equivalent to the Roundworld telegraph, but I feel that Sir Terry describe it as the more modern invention - the Internet. The description of its operators remind me to Google and Apple and Microsoft employees, you know, that type of people. 
The application of clacks and stamps can be seen as successful attempt to modernise Ankh-Morpork. It pleases me when an author continues to improve the city he creates. Because of it, Ankh-Morpork feels real. An ever-changing, dynamic city.



I've also watched a part of the movie adaptation, and I must say...
...that it disappoints me. I wholly disagree with its description of Moist. The movie Moist is too easily angered and too moral. I cannot imagine the Moist von Lipwig in the book haunted by his past doings, of people he has conned. Adora Belle's portrayal is fine - Claire Foy is suitable for portraying Adora. The other thing that disappoints me is a standard issue in movie adaptation - the omitting of the book parts. Because of these reasons, I cannot finish the movie - I cannot stand seeing Moist being made like that. 

Ten stars for the book.
Six for the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment