Sunday 5 April 2015

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Happy Easter, everybody! Or if you are not celebrating Easter and happen to be in Kawasaki area, Happy Dick Day (or so my friend told me).
Proof. She said it is her fav pic.

Anyway. I had time and was in the appropriate mood for watching Park Chan Wook's movie. I've been meaning to watch either Oldboy or Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. I am more interested to watch the latter, though, because I had watched some part of Oldboy in Metro TV about 4 years ago and searched the synopsis afterwards and IT GROSSED ME OUT.
Meanwhile, Lady Vengeance's storyline certainly holds far more appeal for me. It tells us a story about Geum Ja, a lady hell-bent on avenging the unfair sentence she received. I just realized how beautiful Lee Young Ae actually is here XD. She transformed so much from the role that brought her worldwide fame as Dae Jang Geum, the healer...
to...
Oh my goodness.
So awesomely kicking-ass!
Watching Lady Vengeance makes me admiring the cinematography style of Chan Wook. The fade to black-and-white really works well. He successfully makes the atmosphere beautifully dark and masterfully utilizes the combination between bright and dark. I love the way he told the story about Geum Ja's involvement with other inmates. And his pacing is exceedingly good.
So many gems in this movie. The opening, for example.
Hehe. I fully realize that I might be nasty.
Sorry sorry sorry but I JUST CANNOT STAND HIS HAIRCUT. And this expression doesn't help, either. 
The only thing I feel is EXACTLY the opposite of sympathy.
The part where Geum Ja nonchalantly, angelically, immorally squirted bleach into a prison bully's food, is delicious to watch.  
Pure gold!
And it helps that the movie has a boy toy that is very easy on the eyes...
YUMMY BOY TOY YUMMY BOY TOY YUMMY BOY TOY (slaps self hard to stop)
I've only watched another one of his movie, Stoker. It has Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska, among others.
I think Chan Wook has some interest and fascination with Australia, because the couple who adopted Geum Ja's daughter (Jenny) are from Australia and Stoker is set in Australia. It has the same style as Lady Vengeance, for my amateur eyes, but somehow... it... does... not... work. I don't know what to blame. Perhaps, a storyline that works for Korean (or Asian) characters doesn't work for Australians (Caucasians). I am pretty sure that's the cause.
For example, the part where Jenny's adoptive parents and Geum Ja got insanely drunk in the daylight... just feels plain impossible...
Lady Vengeance earns 10 stars because it kicks ass, is not too far-fetched, and does not gross me out.

Sources:
Personal documentation of Ruth F.
Various internet links 
Personal captures from the movie, but I hereby that I have exactly zero rights to them 

No comments:

Post a Comment